Browse Items (71 total)

  • Tags: Buildings

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/842267fd326e2bebb0ed4581c467893e.jpg
Black and white photograph dated 1916 showing sculptor Karl Bitter's home and studio perched atop the Palisades at the site of today's Hamilton Plaza. The Grauert stairs (built in 1915) lead from Boulevard east down to the West Shore Ferry Terminal.…

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/89be2fc6953b476e11b52a98176085b3.jpg
This black and white photo postcard from the collection of the Weehawken Historical Commission depicts an unidentified house. According to Time Machine user Steve Silverman, this house "Looks very similiar to the house I grew up in in Weehawken at 51…

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/74ed6e101fd424ab10a20839086514d8.jpg
Black and white photograph of sculptor Karl Bitter's home and studio as it looked in 1910 (present day Hamilton Park.) Far left is a gazebo (a bandstand from Eldorado) cantilevered over the Palisades. At bottom, a train passes. This photograph is…

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/751aa51596a00f31910d9764496e81c7.jpg
Sepia toned photograph of Saint Lawrence Roman Catholic Church on 18th Street, in the Shades, dated 1887. The church was dedicated in August of that year. This photo is in the collection of the Weehawken Historical Commission.

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/6e4a05fed2099da21490eb1f7a9077b8.jpg
This appears to be a label or advertisement from L. (Louis) Linnewerth's Steam Brewery. According to the information filed with this item in the collection of the Weehawken Historical Commission, the item dates from the early 1880s. The brewery was…

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/101b51f89b990fbf814f13c7d0cb9f48.jpg
Undated black and white photo looking east towards the Castle building of the Eldorado Amusement Park. Seen at rear are strolling park goers and the Hudson River beyond. From the collection of the Weehawken Historial Commission.

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/b0216085c4895aaf2a63038e04f19055.jpg
Undated black and white photo (circa 1892) showing the Casino building of the Eldorado Amusement Park as seen from the Castle building. From the collection of the Weehawken Historical Commission.

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/7f1b1ff59e5c9c79541dca33ddf6e029.jpg
Undated photograph from the collection of the Weehawken Historical Commission showing the Castle building of the Eldorado theater and amusement park. The Castle was later used by artist Karl Bitter as his studio.

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/431834c682915ee199f13f0b6de7caf9.jpg
Undated photograph, circa 1891, showing the Casino building on the grounds of the Eldorado Amusement Park. This item is in the collection of the Weehawken Historical Commission.

http://www.weehawkenhistory.us/timemachine/files/original/4394804f1ef8be0e49e78e02404c6a55.jpg
Clipping from the Hudson Dispatch, January 13, 1931. This article describes the three estates that occupied the Highwood section of town - Brown, Bonn and King. It also has some interesting statistics and tells about the horse cars of yore. There is…